Search This Blog

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Tryptophan Turkeys...


There are only three school weeks between the Thanksgiving break and Christmas break. I had only three half-day assignments last week.

Half day assignments are usually a breeze. There usually isn’t enough time for the 2nd graders to wind up to total craziness before I lose it altogether. By the time they are, it’s over and I go home.

I don’t think I could have survived any more than the assigned three hours in any one of these classrooms. I was worn out and dead tired after each assignment.

The funny thing is that these were classes I’ve had before. They were all classes I’ve had for full day assignments. Second graders are polite, fun, bright, inquisitive and follow directions.

It must be the overdoses of tryptophan turkey that turned me into a tired crotchety old man and the kids to hyper-excited insanity.

Let’s try middle school tomorrow and see if I can make it through a full day in Science class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm six days in on a nine day stretch of subbing. Four of these days have been with 2nd graders. You are correct when you say 2nd graders are fun, polite, etc. I've always thought this is the best age of all. I agree also that you can come home quite exhausted! The ones I've had recently all have the Christmas crazies already!!