Search This Blog

Friday, October 08, 2004

I thought I’d take this opportunity to respond to some of the comments from readers of my blog.

“…No bathroom or water breaks until recess or after-school, are you crazy??? You could get in a lot of trouble for this if one of the students had an accident!..... It's actually against the law where I am to deny them that right…..”

Crazy? No, I don’t think so. Alright, I’m open to changing it from a “rule” to a “guideline”.

I consulted a few other teachers about their handling this situation and this is what they do.

This is in reference to 3rd graders and it did seem to cut down on the traffic in and out of the classroom.

Also, if it really is an obvious situation, I’d certainly make exceptions to the rule. It’s just that I don’t buy the story that groups of five kids all have the urge at the same moment.

Now “bathroom as a legal right” is an interesting concept. I’ll have to look that one up.

“…Offering them money to finish an assignment??? I have never heard of such a thing…. it's inappropriate.”

Point taken. I guess they learn the “work for money” lesson much later in life.

“….And the fact that you lied to the students...that's not the role model you want to be.”

Lie is such a strong adjective. They at least learned that not all problems in life have an answer.

“….I wouldn't be surprised if you begin to have problems with parents if you continue to run a classroom like this when you sub….”

I have a fast car……

No comments: