Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2004

I taught my very first substitute teaching job yesterday. I was assigned to teach 14 Kindergarteners at the school just about a 1/2 mile up the road from where we live. Kinda scary going in the very FIRST time, but after all how bad could it be? Right?.

When I arrived at the school and said I was there for the Kindergarten class, I got a few curious looks. Even more with weird little smiles added after they found out that this was the first I was subbing for ANY class. I got the feeling that they knew something I didn't.

It was a split team teaching Kindergarten where the morning class lady and the afternoon class lady overlap and help each other out.

I was subbing for the afternoon lady so I got "trained" while watching how she did it in the morning while helping her out. Then she let me fly solo for the afternoon class. She would have normally left eariler but I guess she felt sorry for me and stayed for the whole time to keep an eye on things (and probably me).

They were all pretty good kids and eager to please. Only a few stubborn little guys but not too much. Don't think I damaged any of them too much. My teaching "coach" said I did pretty good for the first and with a Kindergarten class. Whoo Hoo! I didn't flunk!

I only have to do this three more times before I break even for all the govt' required fees for licensing, TB tests and finger printing just to be qualified to do this.

...Mark

No comments: