Search This Blog

Monday, April 01, 2013

Ready For the Truth?



The day before Easter, our 8yr old granddaughter Paige told her Mom that she had an important question to ask. She wanted to know the truth about the Easter Bunny & Santa Claus. Are they real or not?
Loss of childhood innocence is one of the hardest for most of us parents to endure but we all must confront it eventually. I know it was for me, 30+yrs ago, when our 5yr old son "wanted to know".
Unfortunately, for me he could not keep such an important secret to himself. He blabbed it to his younger sister and cousins. That singular childhood memory prepared our daughter to handle the situation much more carefully than I did.
J: Ok, but before I tell, you have to promise to keep it a secret and not tell anyone else. Not your brother, your cousins, not any kids at school, nobody. Ok?
  
J: Now, are you sure you really, really want me to tell you?
P: Yes! I really, really want to know the truth.

Paige's response after learning "the truth":

"I'm going to go to bed now and I hope I forget everything you just told me!!".

1 comment:

The Bus Driver said...

awwwwwww. I would have asked her what SHE thought they were ;) maybe to ease the "pain" she can be "in" on a few things like the tooth fairy and easter bunny to make it "magical" for her brother.