Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Start of School Year 2011/12

The school year started yesterday. I’m waiting for that first assignment call.

Well…technically that’s inaccurate, because there was a call on Tuesday but I missed it.

My “California Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit” expires Aug 1 of every year. I submitted my $57 renewal payment mid-July before the expiration date and one week later, the state renewed my status for one additional year.

With a freshly printed copy of my permit, I turned it in to the district office the next day to have my status updated for the 2011-12 school year. Two weeks later, the district substitute assignment system still has me listed as “expired”.

With only two weeks left before the start of the school year, I call the district office to find out what’s up.

“We’ve been busy, haven’t had time to enter the data. We’ll have everyone updated before the start of school”. Another couple weeks pass with no updates.

Tuesday, the day before school starts, I’m still “expired” and a personal visit to the office (…this is the 3rd attempt) is warranted. As soon as I entered, she knew exactly what I was there for even before I asked.

“Sorry, sorry we just haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’ll do it right now.” …and she does.

Leaving the district office, I completed a few errands and lunch before returning home.

That’s when I discover a missed call from the district subbing call center indicating that I missed the first assignment call for 2011-12.

I may have to re-think my money conservation choice of not paying for a cell phone.

2 comments:

Summers School said...

Have you considered just getting a pay-as-you-go phone? It's a LOT cheaper to start off and for those emergency calls you'll get them. :D

Anonymous said...

Late commenting on this, but T-mobile has a plan where you can put $100 on a pre-paid phone and get 1000 minutes that don't expire for a year. I think the phones themselves start at around $20 or $30 at Target. If you only use a few minutes it's a really good deal since it comes out to less than $10/month not including the cost of the phone. I've been doing this for over 2 years now and have never run out of minutes before needing to put another $100 on to keep them from expiring.