Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tell Us a Story…

The subbing assignments have been pretty light the last couple of weeks. I subbed only one day last week and a half day so far this week.

Yesterday’s 5th/6th combo class was the half day class. Most of the kids in the class know me from the previous years when I subbed their 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade classrooms so it wasn’t unexpected when they asked me to tell the story about the “bad class” again even though all of them had heard it before.

Instead I told them a story that my daughter told me a couple of days ago about my sweet little granddaughter.

My daughter was doing housework and not really paying attention to what 4yr-old Paige was singing while playing with her toys. But after a while the song finally got her attention because of the monotonous lyric of the tune. Listening closer, she heard my sweet little granddaughter singing to herself a one word tune that sounded something like:

“dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit…”

Astonished, my daughter asked her sweet little girl where she heard that word.

Paige: I dunno…
Mom: Well, it’s not a nice word so let’s not say it anymore, ok?
Paige: ok…

Mom was thinking she must have picked it up at pre-school and had several tot suspects in mind when she remembered something that happened last week.

They were visiting some friends in Boston who have a little boy about the same age as Paige. Near the end of the trip, the “guys” decided to go golfing and take the kids with them.

Knowing full well how Mike is at the Sharks hockey games and probably golfing, she had a new prime suspect. She would be waiting when he got home from work to have a little talk about “acceptable language”.

(P.S. The kids practically fell on the floor laughing when I tried to imitate the song for them)

1 comment:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

That is too funny. I get the same way with sports. Too bad I moved from Fremont before the Sharks moved to the Shark Tank. They were still at the Cow Palace AKA 'The Bovine Bunker' when I moved out here.