Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Confessions of a Substitute Teacher...

One of the fun things about writing a blog is finding what search strings people used to find it. Some of the search strings are bizarre while others are obvious. I sometimes check the search strings to see what other hits the search produced to see if the hit list found other stuff I might find interesting.

Today, someone using ASK.COM search: “what do kids think makes a good substitute teacher” found:

Where's Waldo? He's a substitute teacher in South Florida.

by T.M. Shine

"I guess I had six or seven troubled kids in my class that day," Mr. Pool says. He can’t remember if they suffered from ADD or STD or STP or LDS or LSD or whatever. It’s all become a bit confusing. "I just know they were troubled. Sometimes, they wear those house arrest ankle bracelets," he says…

Read the rest of the article here:

Confessions of a Substitute Teacher

2 comments:

tagryn said...

I have to echo his hatred of block scheduling. Given the make-work that most teachers leave for subs to administer, keeping even the better classes on task for 2 hours is asking a lot, especially in HS & JHS when they've been through the drill with subs more than a few times already.

I won't get into the teachers who leave a couple of worksheets and figure that'll keep the kids occupied for two hours...

Fred said...

Block scheduling stinks. It benefits everyone except the students.