Search This Blog

Saturday, May 02, 2015

ObamaCare for Subs?...



My school district sent a letter to explain the "voluntary health plan" available to substitute teachers starting July/1 this year. I guess this is the mandated government ObamaCare that states any employee working at least 30h per week be offered coverage. (...I have heard that some other school districts are limiting subs to a max of 4 days per week (6hr x 4days = 24hrs) to get around the mandate)

The plan offered is a high deductable ($5k for single/$10k family, max out of pocket $6250 single / $12500 family out of pocket) plan.

The monthly premium is $376 single / $752 for 2/ $1065 family of 3 or more.

In my case, the total yearly cost of the insurance premium for the two of us is just slightly more than I earned subbing the 2013/2014 school year.

This might be good for a family with lots of kids, but even with a potential increase in the daily sub rate next year, the math doesn't add up in my situation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally looked at my blog for the first time since 2010 and you were my last comment. Maybe I should get back to blogging. I kind of got sidetracked with Facebook, but have not gotten the whole TWEET and Twitter thing.

Hope all is well. The MAN FC

KauaiMark said...

I'm not much of a Twitt'er either.