The first few weeks of a new school year are not usually a busy time for substitute teachers. The year 2012/13 is starting to appear as an unusual year.
I was able to pick up nine assignments in the first three weeks.
I was also able to pick up five future assignments sprinkled out for the rest of the month...so far. I even turned down one assignment because I had previously promised some quality time with my dentist.
In only these first nine classes, I have been amazed by:
- One 3rd grader who apparently grasps the concept of algebraic computation. ie: (3x4)+1=13
- At least one new 1st grader that knows the concept of negative numbers. ie: 8-9 = (-1)
- A 5th grader that cannot add 2-digit numbers yet as the concept of "carry" is just not there
- I had to break up a fistfight between two 4th grade boys the first week of school. Both slugging it out with shots to the face! Both claimed the other kid started it.
- Arriving for a 6th grade classroom assignment, I discovered that the teacher changed to teach 1st grade but did not update the subbing system to that effect. That explained the teeny- tiny chairs in the classroom and my temporary confusion.
Based on events so far, it promises to be a real interesting year.