Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Black Licorice and Kindergarten Teachers…

I really, really like black licorice. Not the sweet “black vine, movie theater” stuff but the good, strong anise extract stuff. Our Finnish exchange student from 20yrs ago still sends me 3-4 packages of the stuff for Christmas every year. But like too much of any good thing all at once, it can make you ill. That’s why I try to apportion my stash as long as possible to thoroughly enjoy it.

Kindergarten is like that. Good in small doses but not so much all at once.

I turned down five of seven Kinder assignments so far this month. One assignment I turned down twice the same night as I guess the subsystem didn’t find any takers the first time around.

I’ve come to believe that Kindergarten teachers are a special breed. They have to have that slow, calm, special “voice” when speaking with Kinders. And to keep it every day in class is truly amazing.

It’s a bit startling to hear Kinder teachers outside the classroom using an adult voice to realize they are great actresses to stay “in character” while in the classroom and can switch it off to become “real people” outside.

It’s really impressive to witness.

7 comments:

Alex T. Valencic said...

I love small children, but I struggle mightily when working with them in the schools. I only take a Kindergarten assignment when I absolutely have nothing else available and I desperately need the work!

Super Sub said...

I've always wondered why there aren't more alcoholic Kindergarten teachers. Only a bottle could me through that EVERY day.

GT Goddess said...

Agreed! They are so darn needy! Give me snarky teenagers any day.

Anonymous said...

I'm just the opposite. I admire those of you who can tolerate middle school and high school age students. Give me the pre-school, kindergarten, and early elementary kids any day!! They are the ones who I enjoy the most. NE sub

ChiTown Girl said...

The only thing I've ever wanted to do is be a kindergarten teacher. Probably from the time I WAS a kindergartner! :)

But, you're right, we are a special breed. After 20+ years of teaching (almost all of those in kdg.) it's absolutely clear to me that you either LOVE kdg. or HATE kdg. And, truthfully, I know more people who hate it. Well, maybe 'hate' is a strong word. Let's just say they'd prefer any other age. haha!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who taught both of my kids kindergarten. I have helped her out on several occasions. I believe she is one of those special people it takes to teach this group. In all the years I've know her, I've only seen her get visibly upset (at least enough for the kids to notice), once and that was a trying day.

Karen Greenberg said...

I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who really has to think about subbing Kindergarten!