Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The New Profanity...

The second week of school hasn’t offered any substitute assignments so we went to the mid-day, discount ($6/ea) movies yesterday. It’s almost like having your own private theater room. There were only 10 people attending. Very nice. The only downside is that I can’t pause the movie for a potty break.

It’s not unusual to find graffiti in public restrooms offering various “services”, “art” and “news” written with sharpie pens or carved onto restroom walls.

I’m not sure when it started but restroom profanity seems to be posted by the less gifted.

“Four letter words” are now being shortened to three, mostly by eliminating the letter “C”. I suspect that the letter “K” also might be on the way out to reduce the time required to get your message across.

It’s probably an easy supposition that this development can be traced directly to cell phone text messaging and internet chat room acronyms. But I think that the trend in not highlighting spelling errors in favor of phonetic spelling in school as part of the creative writing process might be partially to blame.

Well, time 2 zip an get bak b4 I mis 2 mch of da moo-v “De Drk Nite”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. My step granddaughter wrote me a thank you note like it was a text message. I kind of liked it because I felt like she knew I would get it. I subbed my first day yesterday. I am a retired teacher. I plan to print all of the tips on your blog for future jobs. Love your blog.

KauaiMark said...

Glad you like the blog. Feel free to use anything you find here or suggest tips of your own.

...Mark