Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

Final Check…

Hooray, hooray today is payday! School has been out for almost three weeks now and today’s the day.

The “real” teachers got their final check two weeks after last day of school. We have to wait three weeks for them to cut our checks.

They COULD have verified and run the payroll for everyone at the same time, but they make us wait until the end of June for our final check so they can earn a few more days of interest on “our money”.

I’ve previously described the how this creative accounting method works to the benefit of the district at the expense of the district substitutes so there’s no point in rehashing it.

I arrived at what I thought was the very civilized time of 10:00am to pick up my check at the district office (they won’t expend a postage stamp to send it in the mail), and I expected the usual courteous greeting with my check.

It was not to be.

“Substitutes are not supposed to be here before 10:30 to pick up checks” was the greeting I got. Sure enough there was an orange flyer posted right there on the window and it does say:

“Checks can be picked up on June 30, 2008 after 10:30am”

The box of checks is clearly in view on her desk and she didn’t appear to be working on anything else except surfing the internet. Before I could reply with a smarmy comment of my own about how long she’s had to go since her last paycheck, she added:

“But since you’re here, I guess I'll get it for you” with the unspoken tone of “but don’t let it happen again!”

Well, golly gee, gosh darn, thank you for stepping out on a limb, going to the max and thinking outside the “union” time card box to look up my name in the alphabetized shoe box of checks.

I can’t remember, but I think I forgot to say “Thanks” when I left.

6 comments:

Sladed said...

Unbelievable behavior! In my district they always seem to be grateful to the substitutes. They'll even MAIL your check!

On the other hand, Encinitas takes even LONGER to pay you. They wait an entire month. Or worse!... The days you work in June don't get pay to you until August 1st. It seems illegal and is definately unethical.

rattln along said...

Y'all get paid?? I thought you guys did it for the love of teaching.

Just kidding. :)

Zoemonster said...

enjoy the summer; you deserve it

avoiceinthewilderness said...

I subbed in several districts before landing my position. Some districts were incredible about paying their subs-others, well.. let's just say that they probably still owe me money.

The MAN Fan Club said...

We get paid over the full year so we don't really have a "last" check. Kind of nice, especially IF you work during the summer.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Here in Vegas subs get paid at the same time as everyone else. Plus you can do direct deposit if you want.