Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Teacher Edition Math Books…

Is just me or does anyone else have a hard time locating stuff in the Teacher Edition (TE) subject manuals?

The problem is compounded when the TE is actually two separate volumes. Then multiply that by two again for a combo class of 4th and 5th grade math evaluations. Now multiply the situation by thirty students at different grade and ability levels needing to check the answers of 4 and 5 skill-check problems each.

It didn’t take long before I gave up juggling the four TE’s trying to find the correct skills page with answers for each student waiting in line.

After waiting line reached 4-5 kids and getting longer by the minute, I chucked the manuals entirely and just did the mental math to see if their answers were correct. If I detected an erroneous answer, I carefully redid my own work to make sure I hadn’t been the one in error.

There is nothing more humbling than telling a 4th grader he’s got the wrong answer when in fact he/she does have it right.

No comments: