Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Classroom Capitulation...

Just when I think I know how to handle a class, along comes a couple of 6th grade classes to let me know I don’t know shit.

I thought yesterday’s class was pretty loud and out of control, but it was just mildly chaotic compared to today’s class. This teacher is new to the school and this was the first time I’ve taken her class.

While I can’t prove it, it seems that the senior teachers take this as an opportunity to stack the deck in terms of offloading the known rebels into a single class as some sort of hazing ritual for the newly arrived educator. I recognized more than a few memorable slackers and instigators as they entered the room.

I accomplished absolutely nothing related to “education” today. It was simply crowd control and I can’t say I was even good at that.

If my experience today is any indication of how it is every day for this teacher, and some of the kids say it is, then it’s no wonder that she came down with (probably) a stress related case of the shingles after only half way through her first new school year.

I have 3rd graders tomorrow...

5 comments:

NYC Educator said...

It doesn't seem to me like it was your fault. Classroom control is a lot harder for a sub under the best of circumstances, and this sounds far from it.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I know the feeling!

Chebrutta said...

Vets totally unload on new teachers. Worst preps, worst kids, etc. they know how to milk the system to get what they want.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one to made to feel like they "don't know shit!" I subbed for a fifth grade last week and left there feeling pretty bad about my classroom management skills. thanks for reminding me that I am not alone.
Kim

Snippety Gibbet said...

This is a super old post, but it is relative to my life at the moment. Thanks so much for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly. It is nice to know it isn't just me!!!