Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2008

Achievement…

What can the average person expect to achieve in his or her lifetime?

While some will, I’m pretty sure most of us won’t snag a Nobel, Emmy, Golden Globe or even first prize at the county fair.

What most of us can expect to achieve is a high school diploma, a college diploma, maybe even a PhD if the money and brains hold out.

Most of us can expect to achieve finding that special someone to share a life.

Most of us can expect to achieve parenthood if so inclined.

Most of us will experience a few years in one or more careers before settling into the retired life.

I just had one of those “decade birthdays”.

I won’t say when it was or what number it was, but there were fireworks involved and let’s just say that “The Sixty’s Generation” has a whole ‘nother meaning for me now.

While any achievement in my previous career may now be obsolete (such is the pace of cutting edge software design), I now realize that true achievement isn’t all about attaining recognition, wealth or status. It’s really much more basic.

For my surprise birthday party, Claudette and daughter Jene’ compiled a “memory book”.

Now that my real memory is beginning to encounter a few “bad sector” faults, they felt that a hard copy backup was necessary. As I started to peruse my birthday book, I came across pictures and comments from lots-a-people I hadn’t expected and others I hadn’t seen for a while.

I must admit that this was an emotional moment as I realize that the following is MY true life achievement:







It’s the best I could ever have hoped for...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family you have. You must be one terrific guy!
Happy Birthday!!

The MAN Fan Club said...

Happy Birthday. You're still have an amazing circle of influence. Seems like quality time wins out over things.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your summer!

elisa said...

What a wonderful surprise your relatives did to you! It's a great idea. Sometimes such hand-made present are more pleasant than bought ones.