Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

January a Busy Month?…

January 2007 has been the busiest month I’ve ever had guest teaching.


In December, the calls were starting to be so frequent, that I notified a second district I work for that I was unavailable for the entire month of January.


With only half the schools calling and the short month that started Jan 7th, I was in class 12 of the 18 possible school days this month. I could have been teaching 15 days this month, but I had some personal stuff on the three days I turned down assignments.


In the last two and a half weeks of January, I taught one 2nd grade, one 3rd grade, two 6th grades, two Kindergartens, and five 5th grade classes. (Yea, you read that right, TWO Kinder classes).


All of the classes were pretty stress free. Yea, even the Kinders were kinda fun.


This week has been a blur but one memorable conversation comes to mind from a 5th grade boy.


The teacher that runs the “Homework Club” asked me to let the kids know that the after school club was canceled for the day and to let them make calls home from the classroom to arrange for early pickup after school.


Kid: Can I call my uncle to come pick me up?

Me: Sure…

(Kid begins dialing…stops…hangs up)


Kid: I don’t know my uncle’s number.

(--Awkward pause—looking at me expectantly)


Me: Aaaand…you think I know your uncle’s number?

Kid: Well….you ARE the teacher!


Sigh!


(I made him use recess time to go to the office for help in arranging his ride home.)

No comments: