Search This Blog

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Cube Farm...

After working in “the industry” for more than 30 years, I initially found the classroom environment a bit unnerving. There are times when you want some peace and quite, time to reflect to think things through before acting. This doesn’t exist in a classroom. I have at most 30 minutes to read the teacher lesson plan and execute that plan for next five hours until the class day ends. I have nothing to take home from the current day’s work except maybe a few observation notes that will probably end up posted here.

Having spent more than 3/4 of my previous working life in a cube farm, I would find that sometimes the job stayed with me even after the work day was done. I would sometimes have the best ideas about a problem on the drive home, in the shower the next morning or even a walk around the block. It was an interesting and engaging profession. If the job got boring or the conditions not to our mutual understanding, I could easily leave and find a more suitable project to work on.

It doesn’t seem to be that way anymore. Outsourcing and management directives to “do more (work), with less (people)” have taken its toll in the valley. It has a lot of former co-workers keeping the current job in an attempt to just “hold on until I can afford to retire”.

My exit from the industry was made for me when my job was outsourced. There was some fear of “what next”, but it’s working out. We’re making the adjustments toward maximizing income while minimizing expenses. I think we’re going to be ok.

For my former “cube farm friends” still out there, take a moment and have a laugh. It’s good for you: The Cube Farm Song

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Dream levaquin online pharmaceutical